The Clubs Open the House

Clubs and activities board. ( Lorena Valles)

By Alivia Lee, Co-Editor In Chief

Here at Rangeview the variety of clubs and activities that are offered can satisfy almost anyone’s interests and desires, from Bowling Club to Fellowship of Christian Athletes, it is safe to say Rangeview offers something for everyone. The club open house is a great opportunity for students to sign up for clubs and just explore Rangeview’s offerings. This year the club open house will be on Friday August 28th, at 2:55 p.m.

Club: Athletic Training Club

Sponsor: Ms. Kelly

What it is: “If you want to know more about sports injuries, how to assess them, and if you are interested in the sports medicine field you should join,” said second year club member, junior Alexis Andrew.

Club: Bowling Club

Sponsor: Mrs. Blessing

What it is: Bowling Club allows students and their families to bowl once a month with for an inexpensive fee.

Club: Break- Dancing

Sponsor: Mr. Wells  

What it is: “ The Rangeview Break-dancing Club exists as a way for students interested in dance and music to learn this continuously evolving form of dance and expression, meet new people and have fun in a safe environment where creativity is encouraged and trying and failing is recognized as the only way to improve,” as described on the Rangeview website.

Club: Card Club

Sponsor: Mr. Kiss

What it is: A club for those with a passion for things like Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Magic the Gathering.

Club: Creative Careers

Sponsor: Mr. Thomas

What it is: Creative Careers provides students the chance to explore creative arts. Students can create projects on just about anything including photography, web design, game design, and more.

Club: CyberPatriot

Sponsor: Mr. Mills

What it is: “CyberPatriot is an organization with the goal of increasing people’s knowledge of computers,” said third year member, junior Kevin Marshall.” Anybody who likes working with computers and wants to learn more should join.”

Club: DECA

Sponsor: Ms. Count

What it is: “DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe,” states the Rangeview website.

Club: FBLA

Sponsor: Ms. Miller

What it is: FBLA is for students interested in business and aims to bring education and business together.”  

Club:Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Sponsor: Mr. Palmer and Mr. Forde

What it is: Fellowship of Christian Athletes gives Christian students the opportunity to join with and connect to other Christian students.

Club: French Club

Sponsor: Madame Bradford & Madame Hughes

What it is: Francophiles gather in order to bring French culture and appreciation to its members and the Rangeview community. French Club participates in a variety of events including crepe fundraisers, trips to museums, theatrical performances, and watching French movies.

Club: Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA)

Sponsor: Mr. Hirsch

What it is: GSA allows for students of any sexual orientation to meet, share and support experiences, and build a community that aims to promote diversity and empathy amongst the Rangeview community.

Club: LULAC

Sponsor: Mrs. Atencio

What it is: LULAC or League of United Latin American Citizens focuses on Latino culture through music, dancing, food, and “fun.”

Club: Martial Arts Club

Sponsor: Ms. Allen

What it is: Martial Arts Club gives students the chance to learn some martial arts and self defense, the club welcomes any and no prior knowledge on martial arts is needed.

Club: MESA

Sponsor: Mr. Petry

What it is: “MESA stands for Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement…MESA is designed to recruit minorities and women into STEM careers,” states the RHS website.

Club: Mock Trial

Sponsor: Mr. Hamilton

What it is: Mock Trial gives students the opportunity to become familiar with courtroom cases and prepare a hypothetical courtroom case revolving around issues important to young people. Students can compete in regional and statewide competitions.

Club: National Honor Society (NHS)

Sponsor: Mr. Siebenthal

What it is: NHS is a club only open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors but “NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character,” states RHS website

Club: National Technical Honor Society

Sponsor: Mr. Thomas

What it is: “The Society is committed to the recognition of excellence in every arena of career and technical education – student achievement, community service, outstanding chapters, and contributions from business, industry, and educational professionals,” states RHS website.

Club: Sisters in the Community (S.I.C)

Sponsor: Mrs. Moriarty & Mrs. Lanier

What it is: “S.I.C is an all girls volunteer group that does numerous events and creates a community for the girls of Rangeview,” said S.I.C president Kyrie Moriarity.

Club: Slam Poetry/ Hip Hop Club

Sponsor: Mrs. Henderson

What it is: “The Slam Poetry and Hip Hop Club is an amazing place for Rangeview students to get together to write, share and perform poems and lyrics…The students involved in this club have many opportunities to better their writing skill and attend performances of local poets through writing workshops and local poetry slams,” states the RHS website.

Club: Speech and Debate

Sponsor: Mrs. Gebhardt

Club: Stage Crew Club

Sponsor: Mr. Dolmas

What it is: Stage Crew Club is for those that are interested in helping put together sets for plays.

Club: Step Club

Sponsor: Mrs. Westerdale

What it is: “Rangeview Step Team practices equality, diversity, and unity through teamwork,” states the RHS website. “Our goal is to tear down the racial barriers that separate us by working together, teaching one another and having fun while creating rhythms and beats with our bodies.”

Club: The Crew

Sponsor: Mrs. Moriarity

What it is: “The Crew,” is the all male counterpart to S.I.C. “The Crew,” is dedicated to being involved in the community and volunteering in community service events.

Club: Thespian Club

Sponsor: Mrs. Strouse

What it is: “Thespian Club is an honorary drama club. People who are interested to work onstage or backstage are eligible for membership after they have completed 100 hours of service in theatre,” said sponsor Mrs. Strouse. “In the club we do community service, we do the AIDs walk each year, go to other high school plays, and present at least one show each year.”
**Club information including sponsors and club offerings is based off of information found on the Rangeview website and may not be up to date. The 2015-2016 school year has brought many new clubs to the Rangeview that may not be on this list.