A strict start to school

Some of the security administration meet at the front lobby desk discussing matters. Many watch the halls and rotate through checking different areas of the school at different times. (Stephanie Pickens)

Stephanie Pickens, Review Staff

“IDs, IDs out.”

Staff members always have greeted students this way as they approach the school.  Although it has been a routine for quite some time, the severity of student identification has increased significantly. Why has it now become so serious? 

Security Administrator, Bruce Egloff said, “There’s more people which allows us to cover more ground —  the way it’s going now is better for the students.”

A couple threats hit Rangeview last school year in the week of October 29 and it subsequently led to an actual red lockdown at the end of that week on Friday November 2. Besides that, there were many secure perimeters on many accounts throughout the year. 

“In any high school, there’s usually dozens of entrances and at any given time they can just prop the door open, so we’re just trying to be cognisant of that and make it stop so random people don’t come in,” said new assistant principal, Mrs. Rahn. “I know it’s a pain and some students are annoyed, but it’s worth it in the end.”

A schedule of hall monitors for staff is taped on the table at the entrance into the commons on the bottom floor. Many teachers do their shift during their off/planning periods. (Stephanie Pickens)

Now, if you try to leave the building, there’s almost always at least one staff member checking at every door.

Another change this year is the enforcement of principal passes; they have always been enforced and given out throughout each year, but this year teachers are constantly checking. Eligible students received them at registration and are absolutely required to have one in order to go off campus. A common thing in past years would be students leaving whenever and ditching for the rest of the day or for certain classes. 

“Attendance has been a struggle and increased security should help more students get to class and stay on track,” said Spanish teacher Ms. Kay.

Although the security is for students’ sake, some students haven’t taken it in the most positive way. 

“It kind of sucks; they have to check our IDs for everything even though they know I go here,” said Jazmyne Ewing. She also brought up the cheats students could make that could give access to  possible intruders through the school doors. “People could still bring in their old IDs and make their own stickers.” 

There are always ways for students to loophole around the rules, but the procedures and precautions the school has set in place have their effectiveness — there’s only so much the school can do to prepare for and prevent any danger inside or nearby.

A badge sensor and intercom device lie before the doors to the front entrance. Visitors and staff members are able to use them when necessary. (Stephanie Pickens)

Safety will always be the number one priority and despite the annoyances it can bring, students should constantly feel like they can be comfortable. 

“I think it’s rational, because the way people are moving nowadays, you can’t take a risk,” said junior Rediet Ayanaw. 

This new school year brings in a lot of new changes from the new principal and new administration to rules and what students must follow, however security will always aim for one thing: safety.