Rangeview soccer continues to torch their opponents

Izzy Honey, Review Staff

Feature Photo By: Izzy Honey- Junior Juan Carlos and Senior Jalen Sanchez try to win the ball from an Eaglecrest player. Juan Carlos said, “Last year, we tied against Eaglecrest when we should’ve beat them.” This year the team won 3-0.

Rangeview’s boys soccer team has kicked of the season with a running start. Currently, the varsity team stands 2-0 in the 5A EMAC league, and 5-1 overall.

After losing the first game of the season against Arapahoe, the team is determined to step up their game. This week alone, the team won three games; 2-1 against Smoky Hill on Monday, 9-0 against Thornton on Tuesday, and 9-1 against Brighton on Thursday.

The coaches believe that the fact that the boys have played a varsity season together already is a contributing factor to their success.

Senior Sky Gyamfi prepares to send the ball down the field, away from the Rangeview goal. Sky scored his first goal of the season at the Thornton game this last Tuesday. (Izzy Honey)

Coach Vic Strouse said, “They’re confident. I think the big deal is confidence… You’ve got to believe in yourself and believe that you can do the things you can do. I think that’s really what’s going on, they’re kinda flying high right now. They’re a pretty confident group.”

Senior Captain Joey Hussey, had another reason for the team’s success. He commented, “The team has come a long way since the start of the season. I think we have most developed our speed of play which I think has given us an advantage over other teams.”

This season, senior Jalen Sanchez has come out as the team‘s top scorer so far. He has already scored seven goals this year as opposed to three goals last year.

Sophomore Nicole Beno, both a cheerleader at the games and a fan, said, “Cheering at the games is fun because I feel like we get to encourage the boys and I just feel like that helps them win. As a fan, I would say our varsity soccer team is doing really good. They’ve won all of the games I’ve been to.”
The next game will be on September 27th, against Hinkley at APS Stadium. To keep up with the varsity soccer schedule and scores, click the link below:  

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/rangeview-raiders-(aurora,co)/soccer/home.htm