Late hit, Unruly Fans Cause Postponement of Rangeview, Aurora Central Football Clash

NFHS Sports

Avery Salas, Janyissa Bannister, Sports Department

All hell broke loose at Aurora Public School’s Stadium Thursday night when an Aurora Central late hit led to an on-field altercation that quickly escalated into an ugly and dangerous scene. Saturday’s lower level game was cancelled and the varsity game will be resumed in the future without fans in attendance (
editor’s note: the Raider Review has chosen to not reveal the date and time for the safety of the players).

With Rangeview leading 14-7 and 9:21 left in the fourth quarter, Rangeview’s DJ Collins took a handoff and headed wide towards the Rangeview sideline, Aurora Central’s Trevon Simmons-Adams delivered a late hit out of bounds and swung Collins to the ground. Simmons-Adams put his hands up to feign innocence, but in the process, Aurora Central’s Dushawn Boston, who was trailing the play, stumbled through Rangeview’s freshman QB standing on the sideline, toppling Collins again in the process.

An altercation then ensued with a frustrated Collins, who after being hit twice out of bounds took offense. Coaching staffs from both teams attempted to ensure their players wouldn’t partake in the violence, but Aurora Central fans hopped over the fence that separates the spectators from the field, creating a wild scene.

Reports and footage are inconclusive, but it appears Central fans entered the playing area on the Rangeview sideline and began verbal altercations with the Rangeview team. Aurora Central fans are also seen pelting the Rangeview sideline with objects.

The personal foul from Simmons-Adams was the Trojan’s seventh of the game, while Rangeview had received two personal foul penalties. No players were ejected from the game and at this point no players will be ineligible for the resumption of the contest.

The game was postponed with the Raiders leading 14-7. Based on CHSAA rules, both teams would need to complete the game unless they both agree to end the game at that point. When play resumes, Rangeview will have the ball deep inside Central territory leading 14-7 with 9:21 remaining in the game.

While players and coaches cannot go on the record, there appears to be a genuine fear from players that outsiders pose life-threatening danger.

Aurora Central’s soccer match with Overland this week was also ended early because of concerns with fans. Last year, Aurora Central High School suffered from consistent gun violence, but this year with APS’s help has been working tirelessly to ensure student safety.

Increased district security and police presence were visible at Rangeview on Friday.

Rangeview had been in control of the game until Aurora Central blocked a 47-yard field goal attempt. Central’s William Briscoe Jr. returned the blocked kick for a touchdown with 17 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Central quickly got the football back after only two plays later when running back Keith Jones fumbled it back to the Trojans on the Raiders own 47 yard-line.

Fortunately for Rangeview, Chase McDonald recovered a Central fumble from a bad exchange and the Raiders were in business at the Trojan 43 yard-line. It was two plays later that the madness began.

Rangeview gained the lead early on a 6-yard run from Collins and expanded their lead to 14-0 on a brilliant 70-yard run by QB Abunu Asfaw just a minute after halftime.

Rangeview’s next complete game is against Legacy High School for Homecoming on Thursday, September 29.

(Editor’s note: Based upon additional reporting the Raider Review was able to update some details of the story including statistics and school safety notes 9/16/22 5:50PM)